You often hear stories about extraordinary people who travel the world. But what about animals? When faced with challenges to their safety or well-being, animals often perform these same kinds of feats! For instance, global warming has forced polar bears to swim hundreds of miles in search of the food and the cold temperatures they need to survive. Many different kinds of animals travel thousands of miles to migrate from one place to another. And sometimes, animals travel through thick and thin simply to find their way home. The fact that they’re animals makes their stories of world travel all the more incredible.
This article tells the stories of some truly amazing animals and their world travels.
- Here is a video about Sophie Tucker, the dog who swam more than 5 miles to the safety of an island after falling off a boat.
- Here is a video that tells the fascinating story of the migration of salmon.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why did the animals in the article travel such great distances?
- How do you think Sophie Tucker and her owners felt when they were finally reunited?
- Visit the Polar Bears International website to learn more about global warming, its dangerous effect on polar bears, and what you can do to help.
- Visit the Global Issues website to learn more about how you can help the environment and the animals who rely on it!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.