In 2005, while serving in Iraq, Sargeant Merlin German nearly died in a roadside bombing. He suffered severe burns over most of his body. But he bravely battled back and was awarded the Purple Heart. In April 2008, German died suddenly after a procedure to graft skin onto his lip. He was only 22 years old. This video is a slideshow tribute to American hero Merlin German.
- Here is an article about Merlin German and his incredible story.
- Here is an interview with Merlin’s brother Ariel German and with Norma Guerra, the deputy chief of public affairs at Brooke Army Medical Center, where Merlin spent 17 months in recovery (Merlin called her his “Texas mom”).
Topics for Discussion:
- What is it that makes Merlin an American hero?
- What incredible qualities must Merlin have had to endure his pain and hardship?
- Visit the Merlin’s Miracles charity website to learn more about Merlin’s cause and how you can get involved.
- Visit the website for the Wounded Warrior Project to learn more about how you can help wounded veterans.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.