Patrick Henry Hughes is a student at the University of Louisville. He was born blind and crippled in both his legs and arms. Yet now he plays the piano beautifully and “marches” in the Louisville marching band.
This video tells Patrick’s inspirational story.
- Here is an article all about Patrick.
- Find out more about Patrick at his website, www.patrickhenryhughes.com.
Topics for Discussion:
- What qualities must Patrick possess in order to overcome his disability and achieve his goals?
- Which significant person in Patrick’s life has helped him every step of the way?
- Instead of focusing on his disability, Patrick focuses on the musical gifts he has. What gifts do you have that you can share with others?
- Check out the InterPLAY website to learn about a band that helps disabled people play music, and to find out how you can get involved!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.