As a teenager, Patrick Awuah left Ghana to attend college in America. After that, he stayed in America, embarking on a career at Microsoft. But in 1998, Patrick decided to return to Ghana. He wanted to help shape the future leaders of Africa, and he felt that the best way he could do so was to help found a new university.
The school Patrick helped found is called Ashesi University College. Ashesi, a name that means “beginning”, opened its doors in 2002 with 30 students. Today, hundreds of students attend and have graduated Ashesi and are creating success in their lives.
This video tells about Patrick and Ashesi University.
- Here is an article that tells Patrick’s story.
- Here is another article that talks about Patrick and Ashesi University College.
Topics for Discussion:
- What made Patrick give up his “American dream” and move back to Ghana?
- Do you think you could give up the life you have now and start over in another country?
- Visit the Ashesi University College website to learn more about the school and how you can support it!
- Visit the Free World Foundation website to learn about other ways you can help the people of Ghana.