Life has its ups and downs, and for a kid, the downs can sometimes be overwhelming. Experiences such as a death in the family, a bullying situation, or even a move can have a significant impact on a kid.
Oftentimes, when faced with difficult situations, kids are reluctant to express the confusion or frustration they feel and end up feeling very alone. But fortunately, there are many wonderful kids’ books that can help in these situations. There are books that show characters having similar difficult experiences and working through them in positive ways. Reading these books can help kids cope with their own circumstances and feel better about what’s going on in their lives.
In this video, a children’s book author talks about three of her favorite kids’ books.
- Here is an article with a podcast that talks about great kids’ books and how they can help.
- Here is a website that shows a book parents and kids can make themselves in order to help kids cope with difficult times.
Topics for Discussion:
- What do you think makes a kids’ book great?
- Are there any kids’ books that have helped you through a difficult time in your life?
- Visit the MomsKidsBooks website to find their picks for great books for kids!
- Visit the Association for Library Service to Children page of the American Library Association website to find out more great books and other reading sources for kids!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.