Katy Sullivan was born without legs, but she didn’t let that stop her from living life to the fullest. After trying out various sports and even successfully pursuing a career in acting, Katy decided to get into running. In March 2006, she got a pair of carbon fiber legs and started running for the first time. In just a short time, Katy progressed so far with her running that she began training for the 2008 Beijing Paralympics!
This video shows the inspirational Katy as she trains in her carbon fiber running legs for the Beijing 2008 Paralympics.
- Here is Katy’s website, which tells her amazing story!
- Here is an article with more information about Katy.
Topics for Discussion:
- What would it be like to have no legs? How would your life be different than it is now?
- What qualities must Katy possess in order to achieve the successes she has in her life?
- Visit the Athletes With Disabilities Network website to learn more about these amazing people and how you can support them!
- Visit the website for the U.S. Paralympic Team to learn more about these incredible athletes and how you can support them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.