In 1998, John Wood was a Microsoft executive when he took a vacation that changed his life forever. The vacation started as a trekking holiday in Nepal, but it became a spiritual journey and then a mission. John decided he wanted to change the world one book and one child at a time by setting up libraries in the developing world. He soon felt a strong urge to leave his career with only a loose vision of his plan.
After leaving Microsoft, John started Room to Read, an organization dedicated to providing children with the lifelong gift of education. Today, Room to Read has opened 12,000 libraries and 1,500 schools all over the world and is well on its way to making sure all kids have the chance to get the education they deserve!
This video tells the story of John and his noble cause.
- Check out the Room to Read website to learn more about John and his great cause!
- Check out this other inspiremykids story about a girl who donates books to those in need.
Topics for Discussion:
- How do you think building a library can change a village?
- John showed courage in leaving his career to pursue a worthy goal. Does something hold you back from pursuing your own worthy goal?
- Who can you help teach to read? Visit your local library and see how you can help!
- Get your school involved too! Visit the Room to Read website to find out how your school can help!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.