Imagine that you live in one of the poorest countries on earth. Now imagine that you are also a paraplegic and live on the grounds of a zoo. What do you do? You focus on your abilities! Staff Benda Bilili is a band in Congo whose members have various physical ailments. They joined together in 2004 to focus on what they all loved – music. They are now becoming one of the most popular bands on the planet. Their message is about having patience and about thinking beyond your appearance. This video shows one of the most inspiring group of musicians you will ever see.
- Here is a link to an article about Staff Benda Bilili.
- Here is the informational listing on Staff Benda Bilili that appears on Wikipedia.
Topics for Discussion:
- What is a disability? What limits does a disability put on a person?
- What is unique about Staff Benda Bilili? Is there anything you can learn from them?
- Do you know someone with a disability? Get to know them better and see how much you have in common with them!
- Check out the Disabilities page of the Network for Good website to learn more about disabilities and how you can help disabled people!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.