An unlikely friendship has blossomed between a dog named Ben and a bottle-nosed dolphin named Duggie. Duggie has made his home off Tory Island, Ireland. Recently, Ben has taken to pacing the island’s pier and then jumping into the water as soon as Duggie appears…..
Duggie first appeared when the body of another dolphin washed up at the back of the island.
“People think it was probably her partner and because they are believed to have only one mate in life, that is why she has stayed behind,” said local hotelier Pat Doohan. “Occasionally a school of dolphins will go by and she will join them. When I see them I think she will forget the island and go back to her wild ways, but she never does,” he said.
This video tells the story of Duggie and Ben.
- Here is a website that tells all about Duggie and Ben.
- Check out this website to learn more about bottle-nosed dolphins!
Topics for Discussion:
- Have you ever had an unusual friend?
- What do you think makes Duggie keep returning to Tory Island?
- Find someone in your school who you wouldn’t normally interact with and make a new, unusual friend!
- Check out the website to learn more about dolphins and what you can do to help them!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.