Derek Jeter is well-known as an outstanding baseball player. But Derek is just as outstanding in another area – community giving. In 1996, Derek founded the Turn 2 Foundation, a group that encourages kids to turn away from bad choices like drugs or gangs and “turn 2” positive, healthy lifestyle choices.
In 2009, Derek’s generous, giving spirit was recognized when he won baseball’s coveted Clemente Award, an award given to a baseball player for exceptional work both on and off the field.
In this video, Derek talks about the Turn 2 Foundation.
- Here is an article that tells about how Derek won the 2009 Roberto Clemente award.
- Here is another article about Derek Jeter and his work with Turn 2 Foundation.
Topics for Discussion:
- Why do you think Derek wanted to start the Turn 2 Foundation?
- How does the Turn 2 Foundation help kids?
- Derek began the Turn 2 Foundation based on his passion for baseball. Do you have a passion that you can use to do good for others?
- Visit the website for the Turn 2 Foundation to learn more about this worthy cause and how you can support it!
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.