For 12-year-old Malaysian Umar Hasfizal, his autism is no match for his courage and angelic voice. He is a hero to inspire us all.
In this video, Umar leads a choir of 25 autistic children from the National Autism Society of Malaysia (Nasom). They are singing a rendition of I Dreamed A Dream from Les Miserables. They are singing in front of over 1,600 people at a fundraiser held to coincide with World Autism Day.
- Check out Umar’s website!
- Here is another video of Umar singing.
Topics for Discussion:
- Do you know anyone who is autistic?
- Do you think it was difficult for Umar to sing and lead a choir in front of a large audience
- Visit the website for World Autism Awareness Day to learn more about this important day and how you can get involved.
- Visit the Autism Speaks website to learn more about autism and how you can help people with this condition.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for elementary school students.
- Here is a link to a Critical Reading Skills worksheet that you can use for middle school students.